Our Full Monte Life
We blog about the trials & tribulations of owning Camp Full Monte, an off grid, clothing optional, eco campsite in Montenegro.
- The challenges we face living as expats in Montenegro.
- The friends and volunteers helping us to evolve our eco project.
- Eco-friendly methods & products – we’re far from being experts but want to share all we are learning… education is the first step to awareness and change.
- Gardening organically – sharing the joys and woes of growing green.
- Food – we love it! We’ll tell you about the meals we create from our organic produce and share recipes.
- Nature in all her forms – the beautiful (and sometimes ugly!) manifestations of Mother Nature inspire us.
- Random things that make us happy and sad – books we have read, situations & events we have experienced.
We are Steve and Denise and we emigrated from the UK to Montenegro in May 2006. The decision to change our lifestyle was driven by the value we place on happiness. We traded property, working long hours for someone else and regular incomes, for cash in the bank and time and space together. This gave us the freedom to make different choices.
We are practical people – we have limited talents and funds – so we had to choose to do something that played to our strengths and gave us enough money to live on. Our combined talents (cooking, gardening, entertaining) led us to aim for opening a resort of our own.
We had enjoyed naturist holidays for over a decade so we wanted to provide a space where folk could get their kit off in the sun if they felt like it. We were inspired by a resort we visited in Portugal in 2005 where nudity was acceptable but not mandatory. We decided we would also adopt a clothing optional policy. The concept is simple, you can choose to wear as much or as little as you like 24×7. All we ask is that you don’t make other guests feel uncomfortable if their choice is different to yours.
Resort to Camping
It took a year and a lot of adventures before we found the right piece of land and a further 6 months before we could buy all we needed to get started. Our original plan to build a resort of wooden cabins was scuppered by the news that one day there may be a major highway on or near our plots. Low impact, low cost camping seemed the way to go.
We also discovered that trying to connect our beautiful piece of land to mains services was going to be difficult and expensive. We weren’t eco warriors when we set out on this journey but pragmatism led us to research alternative approaches. We are now converts to off-grid living and the environmentally friendly approaches we are championing here.
Contact us at: holidays (at) full-monte (dot) com